Mommy Made From Scratch

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Brownies




We bought our first house a year and a half ago and have been able to begin gardening this past spring. I've been dying to grow my own fruits and veggies and am thrilled with how well our zucchini has been growing. The other plants are still questionable.


Tatiana with our first two zucchini


So right now we're swimming in zucchini. I've been trying to find creative ways to include zucchini in some of my recipes. I came across this recipe on All Recipes for zucchini brownies, which I tweaked a little bit to suit my taste. I'll have to admit that I was a bit skeptical but thought it wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't like it or not since we have plenty of zucchini coming out of the ground on a daily basis right now. The batter will look really dry but trust me, it will all work out. Enjoy!


Zucchini Chocolate Chip Brownies


Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips
  • confectioners sugar (optional)



Ingredients: You can tell I go all out on the most expensive name brands


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray to prevent sticking.
In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and vanilla until well blended. 





Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt and then stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips. Spread evenly into your prepared pan.




Let your husband and/or children lick the spoon...or keep it all to yourself.




Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the brownies spring back when you touch them gently.




Sprinkle with confectioners sugar, if you wish, and enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. I saw this post on Brown Eyed Bakers facebook. My father in law has supplied me with an abundance of zucchini so I made these yesterday! They were a hit with my family, even my 3 and 5 year old daughters! I was shocked that there were any eggs in the recipe. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad everyone liked it! Neither of my kids like zucchini but they love these brownies as well. It feels good to give them a healthier treat!

    ReplyDelete