Mommy Made From Scratch

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Crunchy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

I've always wanted to try and make my own granola bars. My husband brings one to work for a snack everyday and I'll eat them sometimes for an on the go breakfast or to help out low blood sugar so we go through a lot of them on a weekly basis. I was looking for a good granola bar recipe when I came across this one over at Weelicious. I figured this lady must know how to cook; after all, she HAS cooked with Al Roker. I modified the recipe slightly to fit my family's tastes. For the original recipe, please visit Weelicious.

The first time I made these I used waxed paper instead of parchment paper. DON'T REPEAT MY MISTAKE!!! The wax paper stuck to the granola so we ended up turning the whole mass of waxed granola upside down and picking it apart until we couldn't get any non-waxy pieces anymore. The parchment worked wonders on the next go-around. USE PARCHMENT!! These granola bars are so much better than the store bought kind, they're cheaper and they make your whole house smell wonderful.


Crunchy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars 
(makes approximately 30 bars)

4 Cups Old Fashioned Oats
1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Chocolate Chips
1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 Cup Canola Oil
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Honey

Preheat your oven to 325 F then combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl. Recruit some help and if necessary, bribe them with chocolate chips.








Give your helper her well-deserved chocolate chips...and give a few to yourself because hey, you deserve it, too.

In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients over the oat mixture and stir to combine.

It should look something like this. Yum....



Dump the granola mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet. And remember, NO WAX PAPER!


Shape mixture into a rectangle or square about 1 inch thick.


Bake for 30 minutes.


Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into long rectangles.



 Once cooled, wrap individually to remain fresh for several weeks. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment