Mommy Made From Scratch

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Crock Pot Smoked Sausage and Vegetables

This meal is one of the simplest and most delicious things to hit our household on a regular basis. We make it a lot. It's one of the only things that the entire family will eat without complaining. My kids call the sausage hot dogs and I don't tell them any different. I figure, hey, if that's what gets them to eat it, then that's what we'll call them.

I usually serve this with rolls or biscuits to round out the meal. For a variation on this dish, include frozen or fresh corn off the cob to add a sweetness to the overall flavor. Enjoy!





Crock Pot Smoked Sausage and Vegetables

2 packages smoked sausage
5 medium to large potatoes
3-4 14 oz cans green beans
1 tsp ground black pepper

Clean and cut potatoes into bite-size cubes and set aside.




Slice sausages into 1 inch pieces, making sure to reserve any liquid left in the packaging. There won't be much liquid but it makes a big flavor difference if you don't forget to keep it for later. Set aside.




Put the potatoes in the bottom of a 5 or 6 quart crock pot. Pour green beans over potatoes, including liquid in the cans. Sprinkle black pepper over top of green beans. Add the sausage and reserved liquid on top of the green beans. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.







Stir halfway through cooking to make sure none of the goodness is getting charred. After 5 hours check the potatoes to make sure they are fully cooked. Scoop into individual serving dishes along with some rolls if you like.







Enjoy!


10 comments:

  1. I've made this often since I first had it at your house several years ago. Heidi M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I am trying your recipe for the first time today. Everything is cooking at the house while I am at work. It looks delicious; I hope everyone enjoys it tonight! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could go for a bowl of that right now! I've never used smoked sausage in the slow cooker but I'm going to now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my mother-in-law put me onto this recipe when I married her son 6 years ago, we too make it often & love it always! Occasionally, we spruce it up w/ fried potatoes & just blend the remaining ingredients, that is my husband's favorite way to eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We make this at my house and call it "Man Stew" because it never fails to please the boys of the house. I grew up on it. The only difference is we also add shelly beans (often sold together in cans with green beans in ham broth) and it is awesome! :) Also...we serve with cornbread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing all of the variations of this dish! That's one of my favorite things about it: that you can substitute so many different types of vegetables and meats and it's still really delicious. I've never heard of shelly beans before but now I'll be on the lookout for them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you!!! I had this a couple months ago at a friend's house and keep forgetting to ask how she made it. Now I know:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What kind of sausage? I don't buy it often...I'm assuming not the precooked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the precooked smoked sausage. You could probably switch it out for something else if you wanted to. I'm just not sure of the cooking times with the regular, not precooked sausage.

      Delete
  9. this is healthy, it will give good health and smoked food is good for health.

    ReplyDelete