Mommy Made From Scratch

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Garlic French Fries

The other night I was getting ready to make dinner for the fam when I needed french fries to go with the main entree. I was severely disappointed to find that we had no fries in the freezer. Then I realized we don't have frozen fries but we do have potatoes so why not make my own. After all, for those not aware, french fries come from real potatoes.

The first time I tried to do this I couldn't for the life of me get the potatoes to get brown and crispy no matter how long I put them in the oven. I've since discovered my mistake; soak them first, then bake. Read on for this and all the other genius details to these delectable homemade french fries.




Garlic French Fries
5 large potatoes
sea salt
ground black pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
olive oil




Begin by taking five potatoes and washing them to get all of the dirt off. If you want to peel them you can do that next. I prefer to keep the skin on to add to the nutritional value of the dish.




Next slice the potatoes into long thin sticks. Be sure to cut them as uniformly as possible to ensure even cooking throughout. If you have a mandolin slicer you can use that. I don't have one so I just used an old fashioned knife. 

Then put all of your taters in a bowl and fill with water. Sprinkle some salt in. Let it soak for 30 minutes. This little tater bath will help your spuds to release some of the starch so that they will crisp up in the oven nicely.




Next take the potatoes out of the bath and spread on a few layers of paper towels. Take a wadded up paper towel and dab up the excess water on the fries. This is where I went wrong the first time I tried homemade fries in the past. By blotting off the excess water you will give your fries a chance to brown and crisp instead of steaming in the oven.







Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the potatoes on the pan. Evenly sprinkle the fries with salt, pepper and minced garlic. Drizzle olive oil over the potatoes. 




Stick the whole pan in the oven at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes, depending on how large the potatoes were and how big you cut them. Periodically turn them to ensure even cooking.


Pull them out and voila! Cest magnifique...or something like that. I never took French. Hope you enjoy!





3 comments:

  1. Well, I've never made fries but I'm glad I read this. I had no idea you had to soak fries to get them crispy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made these and I might just eat all of them before my family can:) Thanks for the GREAT suggestion of soaking them! I currently have your granola bars in the oven with M&M's bc I was out of CChips... Cross your fingers! I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them! M&Ms sound so good for those granola bars! I've never tried it with them before. Let me know how they turn out! Thanks for checking out my blog!

      Delete