Mommy Made From Scratch

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Farmhouse Ham and Vegetable Chowder

Over the weekend I was at some friends' house for a bonfire for our church group. It's probably been years since I've had a s'more so I was pretty much in heaven. Then one of the friends hosting the party reminded me of something that I had made for them shortly after they had had babies #4 and #5 about a year ago. For some reason I had completely forgotten about this recipe until he mentioned it. I usually make this several times throughout the fall and winter. Now is the perfect time of year to make this dish to warm you up from the inside out. I guess it's a tie now between the s'mores and the reminder of the ham chowder. Both are unbelievably delicious! Enjoy!





Farmhouse Ham and Vegetable Chowder

2 - 10 1/2 oz cans condensed cream of celery soup
2 cups diced cooked ham
12 oz package frozen corn
large baking potato
medium red bell pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
2 cups frozen or fresh chopped broccoli
1/2 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
extra shredded cheddar cheese (optional)


Dice the red bell pepper and cut the potato into 1/2 inch pieces.




Combine all ingredients except for the broccoli, milk and cheese in a 3 or 4 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Wait patiently just as Pickles is waiting...




If on low, turn to high and stir in broccoli, milk and cheese. The higher fat milk will add more taste but the skim is still delicious. We use skim in our household, except for our 1 year old, so that's what I usually use in this recipe. 

Cover and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Sprinkle some extra cheese on top, if desired. We usually serve this with rolls. Bon app├ętit!






2 comments: