Mommy Made From Scratch

Friday, November 11, 2011

Overnight Baked French Toast Casserole

A few months back I was looking for a breakfast recipe to bring to my community group at church on a Sunday morning. I hate waking up early, period. I especially hate waking up early to rush around the kitchen to make something and still have it look and taste good by the time I get it to it's final destination.

I was so excited to come across this recipe over at Frugal Upstate. I've had a few different versions of this recipe but this was the most simple, inexpensive and time-saving recipe that I have found for french toast casserole. I had so many people come to me and ask for this recipe that I just ended up sending out a mass email to my whole community group with the link.

I hope you enjoy it as much as all of us do!



Overnight Baked French Toast Casserole

1/2 cup butter
12 slices bread
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk

Melt butter and pour into 9x13 inch casserole dish.




Blend brown sugar & cinnamon together in a bowl. Whisk eggs, milk & vanilla together in a separate bowl. Layer bottom of dish with half of the bread.




Sprinkle half of the brown sugar mix over the bread. I used brown sugar that had clumped without breaking it up much and it still worked just fine. The brown sugar will melt and spread so it didn't really matter much for me.




Layer the second half of the bread over the brown sugar mixture.




Pour the egg mixture evenly over the whole casserole. 




Sprinkle with remaining brown sugar mixture.




Don't forget to feed the animals...




Cover with aluminum foil and stick in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, put the covered dish in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove the aluminum foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the dish is browned and no longer wiggly. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle some maple syrup over the toast if you wish. It really doesn't need anything added to it but those are just a few ideas to mix it up. Enjoy!








No comments:

Post a Comment