Mommy Made From Scratch

Monday, December 5, 2011

Easy Peanut Brittle

Today is the first day of the 12 Days of Christmas Treats that I'm hosting on Mommy Made From Scratch. Every day between now and December 16th, I will be posting a different Christmas treat recipe either from myself or from a guest blogger. 

I thought I'd kick off the event with a favorite, sentimental Christmas treat from childhood, peanut brittle. 

One of my most vivid memories from the holiday season growing up as a child came from my great aunt Helen. She used to always make peanut brittle for all of her family and friends every holiday season. Over the years she developed type 2 diabetes and couldn't eat the stuff herself but she still continued to make it for her family, including us. Aunt Helen passed away several years ago but this is one thing about her that I will always remember during Christmastime. 

So without further ado, I present to you my version of peanut brittle. It is delicious and simple and will hopefully make Aunt Helen proud.




Easy Peanut Brittle
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup white corn syrup
1 cup roasted salted peanuts
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda

Stir sugar and corn syrup together in a large microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high for 4 minutes.




Stir in peanuts. Microwave on high for 3 to 5 minutes, until light brown.






Add butter and vanilla to syrup, mixing completely. Microwave on high for 1 to 2 more minutes. Peanuts will be light brown and everything will be extremely hot.






Add baking soda and gently stir until the mixture is light and foamy. 




Pour mixture onto lightly greased cookie sheet (I went a little grease crazy, but you don't have to). Let cool for 1/2 to 1 hour.






Once cool, break by hand into small pieces and store in an air tight and festive container.




This recipe makes enough peanut brittle to fill a standard size round tin. Merry Christmas!








2 comments:

  1. I still haven't made this... it was on this years list, but not sure if it will get made or not. Your recipe looks sooooo good, just the way I like it! It's what I'll use for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The easiest brittle ever. Its so good!

    ReplyDelete