Mommy Made From Scratch

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mint Chocolate Meringue Surprises

On the 5th Day of Christmas Treats my true love sent to me....uh, sorry. What can I say, I was in the Christmas spirit. Moving on...it really is the 5th day of the 12 Days of Christmas Treats and boy do I have a treat for you...Mint Chocolate Meringue Surprises.

Growing up, my mom used to make meringue cookies called Forgotten Kisses. They are airy, crunchy but not too crunchy and full of chocolate chips. She would sometimes add some mint flavoring to them too. These have always been one of my favorite treats. So a few weeks ago when the stores began stocking the shelves with holiday candy, I saw that Hershey's had come out with Mint Chocolate Truffle Kisses. I knew I needed to do something with them and the first thing that came to mind were the Forgotten Kisses that I have always drooled over.

So here's my take on my mom's Forgotten Kisses...Mint Chocolate Meringue Surprises. Enjoy!






Mint Chocolate Meringue Surprises
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup fine sugar
1 package Hershey's Mint Chocolate Truffle Kisses


Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In mixer bowl, beat egg whites on medium-low until foamy.




Add cream of tartar. Continue to mix until the egg whites form soft peaks.




Add the sugar, small amounts at a time, and continue to beat, on medium-high speed, until the meringue holds very stiff peaks. To make sure that the sugar is dissolved, rub a small amount of the batter in between your index finger and thumb. If it feels grainy, it isn't done. If smooth, go on to next step.




Unwrap chocolate kisses and set aside.




Drop egg whites by spoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheet. Put one chocolate kiss in the center of each egg white dollop.




Add more egg whites on top of chocolate kiss, sealing the kiss inside.






Bake at 200 F for about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours. When done, the cookies shouldn't be as bright in color and should remove easily from the parchment paper. Shut off oven and open oven door. Leave cookies in oven for several hours or overnight.



Enjoy the surprise!






Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Oh fun!! I too always loved meringue cookies! We made ours a little different than what your mom did...and my mom wouldn't have added mint. She doesn't like anything mint! BUT...I like mint, so this sounds great! :)
    Thanks for sharing!
    Willa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I would love if you shared this in my holiday recipes Blog Hop. Enter it for a chance at a Wilton Pre-Baked Gingerbread Tree Kit! http://bit.ly/vbyp71

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Willa and Matt! I'm headed over now to check out your blog hop, Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fun variation of a meringue cookie. I shared it on my Sweet Swap roundup:-)

    ReplyDelete