Mommy Made From Scratch

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Sour Cream Drop Cookies by Armstrong Family Fare


I'm so happy to have Willa from Armstrong Family Fare here today to share her recipe for Sour Cream Drop Cookies for day 6 of the 12 Days of Christmas Treats. Willa is a dear friend that I have gotten to know over the last several years. She is an amazing baker and cook so listen to her...she knows what she's doing! 

Thanks so much for sharing today, Willa!

Hello!  Welcome to Mommy Made From Scratch!  I am delighted to be posting here today and sharing one of my family’s favorite Christmas ANYTIME cookies.  My name is Willa.  I live in Ohio with my husband, Eric, and our son (2 years) and daughter (7 months).  I have always loved to cook and spend time in the kitchen making delicious meals for my family and friends.  A few months ago, I decided to begin blogging, which is when Armstrong Family Fare was created!  About that same time, without one another knowing, Mommy Made From Scratch was being created as well!  Heidi and I are friends in REAL life, not just in the blogging world.  She’s a great person and I’m thrilled to be participating in her Christmas series!

Growing up my family had a few Christmas traditions.  The one I look back upon very fondly was our tradition of baking tons and tons (and I do mean tons) of cookies.  We made so many different varieties.  We’d begin baking shortly after Thanksgiving.  We would make everything that could be frozen ahead of time then, and later as Christmas was quickly approaching we would make the last minute candies and cookies.  We would then package these cookies up in beautiful cookie trays to take to family and friends.  It was one way that we gave to others.  We didn’t have the money to buy elaborate gifts for everyone we knew, but a tray of cookies was deeply appreciated!

One cookie that we often made were these Sour Cream Drop Cookies.  They’re good.  They have a similar flavor to a sugar cookie, however they have a much softer texture.  They literally melt in your mouth! 





Sour Cream Drop Cookies
1 cup Crisco
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ cup sugar
3 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
¾ cup sour cream
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
Red and green colored sugar sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Blend together Crisco, sugar and eggs.  Beat this very well!  Dissolve baking soda in sour cream and then add to other ingredients and mix.  Add vanilla and mix.  In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Slowly stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients.  Drop cookies on a greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with colored sugar.  Bake for 11 minutes, check and pull out before cookies brown.  Allow the cookies to cool for a minute or two before removing from cookie sheets. 

Enjoy!!  These cookies can easily be adjusted to make anytime throughout the year.  Just omit the colored sugar and sprinkle with regular white sugar.  They’re also very good with a bit of nutmeg or cinnamon sprinkled on top!








1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Heidi!! I'm so glad to be guest blogging for you today!
    Willa

    ReplyDelete