Mommy Made From Scratch

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Overnight Delight Egg Casserole

I'm always trying to come up with new and inventive breakfast recipes that are quick, easy and will work for a decent sized group of people. I'm involved in a few groups in which I am periodically responsible for bringing in a breakfast dish. My dish of choice over the past few months has been Overnight Baked French Toast Casserole. It's simple and quite possibly the best french toast recipe I have ever eaten in my life! I have gotten compliment after compliment every time I've taken it to any function. So how do I top that?!

Last week I was one of many women to bring in a dish for my MOPS group at our meeting on Tuesday. I didn't want to bring in the same thing I've been bringing for the past two months so I came up with Overnight Delight Egg Casserole which I adapted from a recipe from Kraft. It's simple, delicious and healthier than many other egg casseroles out there. I hope I was able to come at least semi-close to the success of the french toast. The ladies in my small group seemed to enjoy it. I hope you do too!




Overnight Delight Egg Casserole
9 medium eggs
3 cups milk
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 loaf French bread, cut into cubes (approximately 8 cups)
1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
12 slices turkey bacon, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup ham, diced
1 (8 oz.) package shredded sharp cheddar cheese


Preheat oven to 350ºF.

Whisk together eggs, milk and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add the bread cubes.

Fold in spinach, turkey bacon, ham and 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese until evenly combined. Make sure as much of the liquid in the spinach has been removed as possible to avoid creating a soggy casserole. This can be time consuming but will be well worth the effort!

Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with cooking spray then pour mixture into dish. Top with remaining cheese.

Cover with foil and stick in the refrigerator overnight or leave the foil off and bake immediately.

Bake for 48 to 50 minutes or until casserole is solid and golden brown.







Look how cute....








Enjoy!

Linked to:

5 comments:

  1. I am always looking for new overnight casseroles for the weeks its our turn to feed our Sunday school class. Getting 4 little people ready, AND actually doing my hair & makeup for once, means I have little to no time to make a breakfast casserole and coffee cake to boot! :) Thanks for sharing with Weekend Potluck!
    ~Tonya from 4 little Fergusons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this mean that we can make it the night before and cook it in the morning and it turns out well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It will turn out perfectly without all the hassle of having to assemble it the morning of.

      Delete
    2. I just updated the recipe to include the overnight part. Sorry! I didn't realize I left that important part out!

      Delete
  3. Question: My 1/2 loaf French bread didn't give me 8 cups of bread cubes. Is the information correct?

    ReplyDelete