Mommy Made From Scratch

Friday, March 30, 2012

Pico de Gallo with Tortilla Chips

Our family has been sick for basically all of February and March. The last two weeks it's been just me which is why I've kind of been MIA on this blog, Twitter, Google+ and Facebook. I've had vertigo which has made it virtually impossible to do much of anything. I originally started this post about a month ago but have been unable to finish it until now. 

I've been writing this bits at a time so hopefully it all makes sense not to mention that right now the pico de gallo photo below is trying to spin around the room. I'd almost rather have the flu and get it over with than have two weeks of vertigo with no other signs or symptoms to give me or the doctors any clue as to what's going on. I can't drive. I can hardly cook. I can't stand for any length of time. Ugh. As you can tell, I'm not handling this well at all. 

Sometimes I think God gives us things like this to test us and I'm failing miserably! Thankfully I've had the help of family and friends over the past week who have taken my kids out, giving me time to rest, and have brought us meals as it's hard for me to cook right now. I'm very blessed and very thankful to each one of them.

Now on to the pico de gallo and chips...

I've become a bit of a salsa snob over the years. I can hardly stand to eat salsa from the jar anymore. I need to have the fresh, crisp, cool flavor of freshly made salsa or pico de gallo. Unfortunately when you're buying salsa from the store it's a heck of a lot cheaper to buy the jar version rather than the fresh stuff from the deli. I hope to have all the ingredients that I need later on in the summer to make my own fresh salsa or pico de gallo straight from the ingredients provided by our garden. 

Salsa is usually made by cooking some of the ingredients which is why I prefer pico de gallo. I love the fresh taste of it and how it doesn't lose any nutrients that cooking can sometimes do. This pico de gallo is best made a day in advance but can be eaten the same day if necessary. This is the perfect snack to get you ready for the warmer months to come. And what better to eat it with than fresh, semi-homemade tortilla chips. Enjoy!




Pico de Gallo
6 large tomatoes, cored and chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large red onion, chopped
1 large cucumber, chopped
2 jalapeno chilies, seeded and finely chopped
1 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/3 cup lime juice
salt, to taste

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl then season with salt. Store in refrigerator. This recipe will make a HUGE amount (approximately 24 servings) so share with friends and family or bring to a party.


Semi-Homemade Tortilla Chips
peanut oil, or other frying oil of your choice
small flour tortillas
salt, to taste

Heat peanut oil in a frying pan on medium heat until bubbles form on the handle of a wooden spoon when placed into the oil as pictured below. I like to use peanut oil because it is a healthier oil option and I love the taste. If I can't afford it I usually use canola oil as a cheaper option.





Cut flour tortillas into triangles. Each tortilla should make 4-8 triangles depending on how large you want your chips to be.

Gently place tortilla triangles into oil a few pieces at a time. Turn triangles over to brown both sides. Place fried tortilla onto paper towel lined baking sheet then immediately season with salt. 

These chips are best eaten immediately after cooling but will remain crisp for a few days in a Ziploc bag. ¡Que aproveche amigos! (Enjoy, friends!)






Linked to:

2 comments: