Mommy Made From Scratch

Friday, April 6, 2012

Resurrection Rolls

In our home, Easter isn't about the Easter bunny sneaking in to hide Easter eggs among the newly blossoming spring flowers. Sure we do some of that stuff in our house like decorate eggs and have an Easter egg hunt but for us Easter is about Jesus' death and resurrection.

Last year I decided to make these Resurrection Rolls with my daughter who was then 3 1/2 so she could begin to understand what Jesus has done for her. We believe that Jesus was the Son of God who came to earth as a baby, and was later mocked, tortured and crucified on a cross. Jesus was buried in a tomb then three days later he was raised from the dead. All of this was done to pay for the wrongdoings and sins of all the people of the world. If you're interested in the details, here is one of the accounts found in the Bible: John 19-Acts 1:10.

Our kids are still young, ages 4 1/2 and 2, but each year I see my daughter's understanding grow and grow. These Resurrection Rolls are a great teaching tool for your kids and a good way to remind yourself of what has been done for you. They're also REALLY yummy!




Resurrection Rolls
1 8-count can crescent rolls
8 large marshmallows
cinnamon
sugar

Preheat oven to 375° F.

Separate and unroll each individual triangular piece of dough onto a cookie sheet.

Place one marshmallow in the center of each piece of dough. Explain that the marshmallow represents Jesus' body.




Sprinkle a small amount of cinnamon and sugar over the marshmallows. Tell your child that the cinnamon and sugar represent the spices that Jesus' body was anointed with.






Wrap the marshmallow up with the dough until it is completely covered. Repeat with each marshmallow.  Explain to your child that the dough represents the cloth that Jesus' body was wrapped in after he died.






Place rolls into the oven for 10-13 minutes or until browned. Explain to your child that the oven represents the tomb that they laid Jesus' body into.

When finished tear or cut open one roll. You'll find that the marshmallow (Jesus) has disappeared! Continue the story by telling your child of how after three days, Mary Magdalene returned to find that the tomb was empty. Christ had risen from the dead!




Easter is the most important holiday in all of Christianity. It is a day to look at what has been done for you/me and remember what is truly important in life and where you/I will spend life after we leave this earth. I hope and pray that each one of you will truly think about these things and come to your own conclusion. I understand that not all of you carry the same beliefs as I do but I really wanted to share with you what I believe. I am open to hearing your beliefs as well as long as it is done in a respectful manner. Either way, I hope you all have a great Easter spent with family and friends!



HAPPY EASTER!


Linked to:

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea and a great tradition to do. I want to do this with my daughter also, we are also going to be doing this year Resurrection Cookies. I found this on pinterest also. You should check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really neat! Much faster than the ones we do, I think I will do this one next year. I have never found this kind that had the meaning of the ingredients, so thanks for sharing!!!!!!
    ~Tonya from 4 little Fergusons
    http://4littlefergusons.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/resurrection-cookies/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I've never heard of Resurrection Cookies. Those look great! I love the Scripture references. I think maybe doing both the cookies and the rolls next year would be well worth it since they tell the same story but each with added details that's not in the other. Thanks so much for co-hosting and sharing your recipe link as well!

      Delete