Mommy Made From Scratch

Friday, April 27, 2012

Spicy Baked Radish Chips

In one of my last posts I mentioned that I had had vertigo and couldn't figure out what was the cause of it. I saw another doctor and found out that sometimes a person's inner ear produces mineral deposits that can be knocked around in the inner ear and get misplaced. Sometimes when they do this the deposits will settle against one of the hairs inside which direct your brain as to what position your head is in, tricking your brain into believing that your head is always off to the side. This is what happened to me. 


Fortunately over the years a genius I'm assuming with the name of Epley, came up with a maneuver that the doctor or the person experiencing vertigo can do to get the mineral deposit back into a section of the ear where it won't interfere with your brain signals. The doctor did a version of this maneuver on me in his office and I was able to walk out vertigo-free! Thanks for all of the get well wishes expressed to me on here and on Facebook!

Now on to a delicious and healthy snack...


Spring has sprung around here although quite frankly, I'm not sure that it ever completely left us. Like much of the U.S. we had an extremely mild winter. Nonetheless I've been waiting for the chance to harvest my own vegetables and fruit from our garden and recently had that chance. This is the second year we've had a garden and have doubled it since last year. I was pretty impressed with myself for being able to successfully grow and feed my family fresh produce from our own backyard. We had such success with our zucchini that I'm just now down to one last bag of shredded zucchini from our freezer to make our favorite dessert, Zucchini Brownies.


This year I added radishes to our garden because of a problem we had with squash bugs. I've been trying to garden organically, without the use of chemicals. I had read that squash bugs hate radishes so I thought I would plant radishes where the zucchini was last fall. What I didn't understand was that the radishes only help the squash bug problem when the squash and radishes are planted side by side. Oh well. Live and learn.


No one in our house is a real fan of radishes so I've been trying to come up with a way to eat them other than in salads or raw with some dip. This recipe is a unique way to eat radishes but it ain't pretty. There really is no way to make these things look good but trust me, they are loaded with delicious flavor. These chips have sort of an Indian food flavor to them and pack a punch. Enjoy!









Spicy Baked Radish Chips
10-12 radishes, greens and roots removed
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp paprika


Preheat oven to 350° F.


Thinly slice radishes. Steam in microwave for 5 minutes. I use a Pampered Chef microwave steamer that works really well.


Mix together spices in a medium bowl. Add radishes and mix until well coated. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread radishes onto parchment lined baking sheet then bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.

Pull out of oven. Cool and enjoy!






Linked to:

4littlefergusons


6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fantastic and clever idea! I'll have to try these...newest follower from the SITS Spring Fling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Radish Chips. Sounds good! Visiting from the SITS Spring Fling! Now following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you thru the SITS girls link up! Looking forward to following your adventures via GFC!

    These look yum!

    Kristine from TheFoleyFam - Unedited

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for finding and following me!

      Delete