Mommy Made From Scratch

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Princess/Tangled Party, Cake, Frosting and Crafts...Oh My!

Well it's official. My baby girl is now a big girl. She's a whopping 5 years old now and will be starting kindergarten in the fall. I can hardly believe she's old enough to go to school but am excited to see where this year takes us.

I had been asking her for months what kind of party she wanted. I like to plan well in advance and pick up things as I see them at a good price rather than have all of the financial burden of hosting a party on us all at once. I asked the first time, "Disney princesses!" I asked the second time, "Tangled!" I asked the third time, "Just princesses, not Disney!" I asked for the final time, "Disney princesses!" So as I had begun to gather things over time we ended up with a Disney princesses/Tangled themed party. Since Rapunzel is now one of the Disney princesses I figure it all works just fine together.


For some reason, not all of the images would download from my camera so I lost some of the decoration photos and the photos of my daughter with her cake. Stupid technology. Thankfully I tend to take a lot of photos so there are still plenty to boot.

Our house is small and I don't like to do too much over the top as far as decorating because that means I'll have to spend at least as much if not more with any other future parties.

I found these lanterns at Target in their dollar section and at Dollar Tree. I also found some crepe paper and a "Happy Birthday" princess themed banner at Dollar Tree as well.



I made some cute party favor bags for each of the kids filled with wands, candy jewelry, other princess-themed things and these adorable cookie cutter crayons of which I will share the how-to's with you in a later post.


I picked up some crown shaped foam door hangers for the kids to decorate with foam stickers and jewel stickers for a fun, quick and easy craft.



My daughter lacks nothing in the personality department...


I made some inexpensive tiaras for each of the girls using headbands from the dollar section at Target and this Rapunzel crown template from Disney.

I printed and cut each piece out of card stock, minus the gold strap. I then glued each to the headband. I recommend using hot glue for this as it is more pliable than most glues and will allow the child to easily take the tiara on and off without the card stock piece coming off.



I used this glue for both the headband tiaras and this fun punch out game. It worked wonderfully for the game below but not so much for the tiaras. As I said above, use hot glue for those.


I made a game called Punch-a-Prize that the kids loved! I'll have another post with details on how to make this and play it later.


To eat we had frozen grape wands made simply by skewering grapes onto wooden skewers and freezing for a few hours. I made purple flower chocolate candies with leftover chocolate from the cake top and I found some fun marshmallow wands at the Dollar Tree.



For the cake I decided to make Rapunzel's tower using cupcakes and a few other items.

Items needed for Rapunzel's tower cake:

  • round piece of styrofoam 3/4 inches thick and 5 3/4 inches in diameter
  • green paint, unless foam is already green
  • small dowel rod, cut to approximately 13 inches
  • one batch of 24 cupcakes, chocolate or other brown or tan colored flavor
  • green buttercream frosting, recipe below
  • brown buttercream frosting, recipe below
  • piping bags and small rose tip
  • candy flowers (I used Wilton Daisy Margarita Sprinkles)
  • sugar cone
  • purple white chocolate, melted
  • 2 large chocolate muffins

I made two different kinds of cupcakes using store-bought mixes, strawberry and chocolate, and added 1/4 mini chocolate chips to each batter. 

I used some of the chocolate cupcakes for the tower and set the remaining cupcakes around it with the tops decorated as grass, vines and flowers.



Here is the frosting recipe I used:

Buttercream Frosting
3/4 cup butter, softened
9 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla
milk
green icing coloring
brown icing coloring

Using a large mixing bowl, beat butter until smooth. Gradually beat in 2 cups of the powdered sugar. Slowly beat in 1/4 cup milk and vanilla.

Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar, adding enough milk as you go to make the frosting into spreading consistency.

Remove a cup or two of the frosting and set aside into a separate bowl. Add a few drops of green icing coloring to the large bowl and a few drops of brown icing coloring to the small bowl of frosting. Mix each separately, adding in additional drops of coloring until you reach the desired colors.

Note: It is important to use icing coloring rather than food coloring. Food coloring will make the frosting runnier. To avoid any problems with poor consistency, use icing coloring which can be found in any cake supply section of craft stores or stores such as Walmart or Target.

--

For the roof of the tower I used a sugar cone and coated it in melted white chocolate that I had colored with purple icing coloring.

I used a round piece of styrofoam 3/4 inches thick and 5 3/4 inches in diameter and painted it green. I had my husband cut a small dowel rod down to 13 inches long. Since the paint on the foam wasn't food safe, I cut out a round piece of a green cake plate that we were using for the party to set the bottom of the tower on. That way, the bottom cupcake of the tower could still be eaten. If you don't have something green that is food safe to set the bottom cupcake on, I would just throw that cupcake away to be on the safe side.

To start assembling the tower, insert the dowel rod into the center of the foam and set the whole thing on a tray. Next put the piece of green plate onto the dowel rod and slide it down to the base.

Take seven cupcakes with the wrappers removed and one by one slide them onto the dowel rod, alternating between setting them right side up and upside down to help balance the tower.

At this point you may want to put some already decorated cupcakes around the base to help keep it stable.

Next take one unwrapped muffin and level the top off with a knife. Skewer the muffin with the dowel rod onto the top of the tower. Next take the other large muffin with the wrapper still intact and insert right side up as well on top of the other muffin.

Spread a small amount of brown frosting on top, about the diameter of your purple chocolate covered sugar cone. Set the cone on top of the frosting.

With a piping bag and your rose tip, gently frost vines up and down the tower, adding flower candy pieces along the way.

Surround the tower with the rest of the cupcakes, decorated with the green frosting and flower candies and voila...you have Rapunzel's tower!

I found these paper 3-D dolls of the Disney princesses that I made to decorate the house with. Here's where you can find Rapunzel. WARNING! Allow lots and lots of time and patience to assemble Rapunzel!!! I made one other doll but didn't have time for any more after Rapunzel because she was that difficult. AND you might notice that her hair is floating in the air above her hand sticking out at the side. Oh well. It's still cute though and was well worth it for my big girl!


Happy birthday, baby girl...err I mean...BIG girl!



Linked to:
Tip Junkie handmade projects

1 comment:

  1. Cute party! I love a DIY party. :-)

    {Visiting from Tip Junkie.}

    ReplyDelete