Mommy Made From Scratch

Monday, August 20, 2012

Back to School Pencils: Munchkin Mondays

I'm always looking for fun and creative ways to get my kids to eat. They are both fairly picky so I try to make their food fun. My daughter especially loves it when I make her food creatively as she is a very creative girl herself.

I was at Target recently. Since I can't just walk past their dollar section, I entered and found another cute little recipe book similar to the one I found for the Squid Dogs recipe entitled, "Disney Family Fun: Easy Kids' Lunches." You can find a similar recipe book here.

One of the first recipes that caught my eye was this simple and fun recipe using string cheese to make pencil-shaped snacks. Since my daughter will be starting kindergarten in a week (yikes!) I thought this would make a fun back-to-school snack or lunch item for when she gets home. I adapted the recipe to better fit my budget and kids' tastes and came up with what you see below.

Enjoy!



Back to School Pencils
string cheese, mozzarella and/or cheddar
green pepper
Bugles corn snacks
raisins
bologna, thick or regular
toothpicks


First cut up your green pepper. Find an area on the pepper that is flat and cut out as many small circles as the number of snacks you will be making. I used this small round 5/8 inch cutter from Wilton.

Next, take a slice of thick bologna or cut one slice of regular bologna in half and cut out several small circles using the same circle cutter. I used regular bologna since that is what I had in the house already. It will look nicer with the thick bologna if you have it.

Grab some Bugles snacks and snap the pointy ends off of them.

Take a raisin or more if you're making more than two snacks, and slice it in half. You'll need half a raisin for each snack.

Now to assemble the pencils...

Using a sharp knife, slice a portion of the cheese stick near one end at an angle, removing a triangular shape. Take one Bugle snack and press it gently onto the angled end of the cheese stick. Take half of a raisin and press gently onto the other end of the Bugle for the "lead" of the pencil.

On the other end of the cheese stick, insert a toothpick so that only 1/4-1/2 inch remains sticking out. Take a green pepper circle and skewer it onto the toothpick. Next, do the same with the bologna, forming your eraser.


If you have small children eating this, you can always leave the toothpick out and use mustard, mayonnaise or ketchup to stick each piece together. If you leave the toothpick in, always remember to warn the child that the toothpick is there.

And there you have it! Back to School Pencils. This is one pencil that you're allowed to chew on. Hope everyone has a great school year!




Mixitup

Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. My God!! HOW creative!!! My kids are too old for this, but really, this is beyond awesome. I have two very young nieces and nephews......I'm bookmarking this and make it for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this! How stinkin' adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking the same thing....HOOOOW adorable! Thanks so much for linking up at Weekend Potluck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heidi,
    Those are the most adorable little treat ever!!! I really want one for myself. Hope you are having a fabulous holiday week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen
    A New Follower

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! These are awesome! Thanks for sharing at Must Try Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Miz Helen! I can't wait to proudly display my Red Plate!

      Delete
  7. Adorable! Too cute.
    I'll have to try my hand at them soon.

    ReplyDelete