Mommy Made From Scratch

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Giant Skillet Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookie

With my one year blogiversary coming up and my husband's birthday a few days later, I figured I'd bake a special cake to celebrate both.

My husband wanted a cookie cake, which I've never done before but I wanted to make it a bit fancier by baking it in a skillet. I thought this would be more difficult but as it turned out, it was so much easier AND I was able to use the skillet as a mixing bowl as well. Fewer dishes for me = a much happier blogiversary!

Hope you like it!



Giant Skillet Dark Chocolate Chunk Cookie
8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark chocolate chunks

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Melt butter in 10-inch cast iron skillet on stove top over medium heat. Stir in sugar, brown sugar and vanilla with a small whisk or fork then remove from the heat. Let the pan rest away from the hot burner until somewhat warm but no longer hot.


Whisk in egg then carefully add flour, baking soda and salt. Stir slowly so as not to spill mixture over the sides of the pan.



Fold in chocolate chunks.



Spread dough with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until it covers entire bottom of pan.


Place skillet into preheated oven and bake for 11-14 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately with a scoop of ice cream for a warm, gooey cookie or wait until cool for a more dense cookie. I drizzled some chocolate ice cream shell coating over the entire cookie for a fun and delicious treat!

Enjoy!










Linked to:


10 comments:

  1. Thank you. This is perfect for my son's upcoming birthday. He doesn't like cake and wanted a giant cookie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Glad to help! If you wanted more of a traditional cookie cake you could always use your own frosting recipe or the buttercream recipe found here, http://mommymadefromscratch.blogspot.com/2012/07/princesstangled-party-cake-frosting-and.html, mixed with a little food coloring to add lettering or a design. I debated on doing that for my husband but tried the chocolate instead. Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  2. This looks yummy. I love the idea of cooking it in a skillet and can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A giant chocolate chip cookie...oh yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really rich and delicious. I think I need to buy a caste iron skillet quick,feel like I am missing out on great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought too so I finally bought one about 6 months ago. Very glad I did!

      Delete
  5. OMG!! That is SO perfect!! I am celebrating my son's bday next week, and this is Perfect!!! Awesome!!! I love how easy it is :))Thanks so much for coming to my weekend dinner party extravaganza :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Heidi, guess what! This fabulous chocolate delight was the most viewed recipe on last week link up :D Check it out!
    Hey Brittany, your yumm Zucchini dish was featured in the Menu :D Come check it out. http://www.thelady8home.com/2012/09/14/menu-for-gala-dinner-extravaganza-week1/

    Hoping you would link up something equally fabulous this week.....

    ReplyDelete