Mommy Made From Scratch

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Simple From Scratch Play Dough

My kids love to play with play dough. They're addicted to it like I'm addicted to chocolate, except they don't eat it...well at least not most of the time. Problem is, they tend to play with it for hours so it dries out fairly easily.

One way to make play dough more economical is by making it from scratch at home instead of buying it at the store. When I make my own play dough I suddenly become the coolest mom ever in my kids' eyes. They are so amazed that I can make this stuff by myself and that I can make virtually any color I want to.

So if you want to be as cool a mom as me and save yourself some dough (pun intended), follow this simple recipe and become magical in the eyes of your children.


Play Dough
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 cup salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 Tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
food coloring or icing color

In a saucepan, add the flour, cream of tartar and salt. Stir to evenly mix. Add the water and oil. I used canola oil and it worked perfectly. Vegetable oil will work just as well if you have that instead. Stir until evenly mixed.


Turn stove burner onto medium-low and continue to stir with wooden spoon. Stir until the mixture starts to become more solid. My stove is very slow at heating up so this step took me a few minutes but if you have a stovetop that heats up quickly, it may only take 30 seconds to a minute to complete this step.

At this point, add in some food coloring. I like to use these icing colors from Wilton as they provide bolder, deeper colors than most liquid food colors.



Stir the food coloring in over the hot burner. The mixture will start to really thicken but keep on continually stirring.


Once the mixture begins to pull away from the sides of the pot, forming a ball, remove from heat.


Scoop out the dough onto some waxed paper and let sit until it cools.



Once cooled, knead the dough a bit with your hands to remove any lumps. Store in zippered plastic bags or airtight plastic or glass containers. This recipe will make approximately 2 containers of store bought playdough. I made two batches, one yellow and one violet for this tutorial.






Now I'm officially the coolest mom ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment